The foundation stone was laid in March 2017, and on 30th July 2018 the top-modern leisure centre opened its doors to the public. Located directly on the south-eastern shore of Lake Achensee in the district Buchau, the Atoll will become the new recreation hotspot for all ages, offering year-round entertainment and activity opportunities on 6,500 square metres. Atoll Achensee: The perfect experience to brighten up a rainy day.
The heart of the stunning leisure centre is the rooftop infinity POOL, the penthouse SPA for heavenly relaxing moments, the spacious Lakeside GYM with view of the Achensee and the BOULDERING hall featuring a climbing area of 180m². Built with lots of glass and light-coloured wood, the ultra-modern facility has been harmoniously integrated into the landscape in the district of Buchau in Maurach.
The bathing BEACH featuring the SPORTS area and FAMILY Eldorado plus three bathing piers will also be completely remodelled. Visitors to the new tourist attraction can expect a high-quality indoor and outdoor gastronomic offer.
In winter, the Atoll will transform into a winter wonderland featuring an artificial ice skating and ice stock rink. The fence surrounding the area will be opened to allow the cross-country ski trail to run alongside the lake.
The original meaning of atoll is a ring-shaped reef, island, or chain of islands formed of coral. This definition has been transferred to the new leisure centre. The edifice resembles a large drop, and its kidney-shaped architecture encompasses several “adventure islands” – hence the name Atoll. The circular design continues through the entire edifice – from the lamps, tables and seating areas to the information desks.
Attractions at a glance
- Panoramic Indoor POOL
- 25-metre sports pool
- Family/non-swimmer pool, indoor and outdoor
- Water fun play area
- Water slide
- Counter current system
- Pool floor massage effect air bubble generator
- Hydromassage jet bubblers in various heights
- Hydromassage benches and seats
- Penthouse SPA
- Steam bath
- Large multi-person infrared cabin
- Finnish sauna with infusions
- Chromotherapy soft sauna
- Herbal steam bath
- Kneipp area with foot baths
- Wooden outdoor relaxation deck
- Outdoor diving pool 2m³
- Rooftop infinity pool and outdoor swimming area
- More highlights
- FAMILY Eldorado: Adventure play ship “St Benedikt”, outdoor area with play tower, suspension bridge, Flying Fox, bird’s nest tree, low rope course, climbing net, tube slides, swing, seesaw, XXL sandpit with awning, children’s beach and sun decks
- Gastronomy: Restaurant in the panoramic POOL area, restaurant in the foyer and terrace restaurant, bistro in the penthouse SPA, fitness bar in the lakeside GYM and SNACK shops (kiosk and ice cream pavilion)
- BOULDERING hall featuring 180m² climbing area and 1,400 grips at various levels of difficulty
- Lakeside GYM (fitness centre) featuring state-of-the-art training equipment and view of the lake
- Welcome CENTRE of the Achensee Tourist Board in the foyer including Atoll Achensee SHOP
- Lakeside BEACH (sitting area, 13,400m² hilly landscape with sunbathing lawn and groups of trees, 3 bathing piers, children’s beach, sandbank, sun decks)
- SPORTS area (beach volley court, tchoukball, tennis, slacklines, motor skills activity garden, football, wetsuit swimming)
- 600m² public ice rink for skating/ice stock sports
- Atoll Terminal: Charging station for electric cars and bikes, 120 bicycle parking spaces, 430 car parking spaces, parking spaces for buses, bus stop
Adventure Ship St Benedikt
Small and large guests can look forward to the adventure ship St Benedikt. The 31-metre long ship, which has been taken out of service after cruising on Lake Achensee for almost 60 years, will become an entertainment venue for games and events.
Resembling a drop of water, the architecture of the Atoll Achensee blends “floatingly” with the environment and integrates into the landscape on the lakeside near the Buchau bathing beach in Maurach. The droplet symbolizes the smallest quantity of Lake Achensee’s large amount of water and sets the basic design element for the ground plan, the curved facade and roof silhouette. Due to the sensitive building site on the banks of Lake Achensee, great importance was placed to a harmonious embedding into the surrounding nature. The sustainable energy concept of the building is exemplary: Deep wells and heat pumps ensure a completely CO2-neutral energy production for the entire site. Hence, the Atoll Achensee also sets down a marker of ecological sustainability in the region.