Dogs at Lake Achensee
Dogs are incredible friends to people, and most dog owners will tell you that their dog is a family member. Lake Achensee is a great region to spend time with your four-legged friend. We have rounded up the most important information for dog owners.
Travelling with pets
Find out in advance what is required for travelling to Tirol, Austria with your four-legged friend. The link below provides useful information and advice.
Dog licence fees
For dogs, licence fees must be paid. Please contact the respective municipality to register your dog.
There are numerous dog toilets available in the Achensee region. Follow the link below to see their exact locations. If you are a dog owner, please be considerate to other outdoor lovers and keep our beautiful nature between the mountains and the lake clean! Be sure to pick up after your dog and properly dispose of dog waste.
Walking near livestock
When you enjoy the outdoors with your dog, keep in mind that many trails pass through or alongside pastures. Please exercise caution when encountering grazing animals. Follow the link below for useful information and guidelines.
Dogs must be leashed AND muzzled:
- In all public transportation (regional buses, ski buses)
- In the Rofan cable car in Maurach
- In the Karwendel cable car in Pertisau
- Onboard all ships of the Achenseeschifffahrt
- In all wagons of the Achensee steam cog railway
- In front of schools and childcare centres
- On playgrounds
- In large crowds
Dog muzzles are available for purchase at all local information offices of the Achensee holiday region.
Dogs must be leashed OR muzzled:
- In the entire municipal areas of Eben, Achenkirch, Steinberg, and Wiesing
- In all public buildings
- In all public parks and parking areas
- On the lakeshore and on all lawns for sunbathing by the lake. Dogs are not allowed at the bathing beach Achenkirch (camping), Atoll Achensee in Maurach, and bathing beach in Pertisau.
- On public traffic areas (federal, state and village roads, cycle paths, footpaths, and walkways)
- On and around hiking trails (summer and winter hiking trails)
- On and around cross-country skiing trails, ski slopes, and toboggan runs
- At various attractions and museums of the Achensee holiday region
- Museums: We appreciate your understanding that dogs must be kept on a leash at all times in the Achensee Museum World in Maurach, the Notburga museum in Eben am Achensee, and the local history museum Achental – Sixenhof. No dogs are permitted at the Tiroler Steinöl Vitalberg.
The requirement to leash and muzzle dogs on hiking trails, cross-country ski trails, ski slopes and toboggan runs also includes a five-metre zone directly adjacent to these facilities. Exempt are designated and signposted dog-friendly footpaths, beaches, and cross-country ski trails.
Please note that dogs must be kept on a short leash (max. two metres long).