Your dog is your most faithful companion, so why not take your furry friend on holidays? More and more people want to take their beloved pets on holidays and spend quality time together. The Achensee region welcomes dogs, and we want your holidays to be a memorable experience for every family member – including the four-legged ones.
Travelling with pets
Find out in advance what is required for travelling to Tirol, Austria with your four-legged friend. The link below provides useful information and advice.
Order your free copy of our current accommodation directory to find pet-friendly hotels, pensions, and apartments. Accommodations catering to the needs of dogs and their owners are marked with a pictogram. In addition, you can search & book pet-friendly accommodations online.
There are numerous dog toilets available in the Achensee region. Follow the link below to see their exact locations. If you are a dog owner, please be considerate of other outdoor lovers and keep our beautiful nature between the mountains and the lake clean! Be sure to pick up after your dog and properly dispose of dog waste.
Walking near livestock
When you enjoy the outdoors with your dog, keep in mind that many trails pass through or alongside pastures. Please exercise caution when encountering grazing animals. Follow the link below for useful information and guidelines.
Dog-friendly Nordic ski runs & bathing beaches
Dogs must be leashed AND muzzled:
- On all public transport (regional buses, ski buses)
- In the Rofan cable car in Maurach
- In the Karwendel cable car in Pertisau
- Onboard all ships of the Achenseeschifffahrt
- In all wagons of the Achensee steam cog railway
- In front of schools and childcare centres
- On playgrounds
- In large crowds
Dog muzzles are available for purchase at all local information offices of the Achensee holiday region.
Dogs must be leashed OR muzzled:
- In the entire municipal areas of Eben, Achenkirch, Steinberg, and Wiesing
- In all public buildings
- In all public parks and parking areas
- On the lakeshore and on all lawns for sunbathing by the lake. Dogs are not allowed at the bathing beach Achenkirch (camping), Atoll Achensee in Maurach, and bathing beach in Pertisau.
- On public traffic areas (federal, state and village roads, cycle paths, footpaths, and walkways)
- On and around hiking trails (summer and winter hiking trails)
- On and around cross-country skiing trails, ski slopes, and toboggan runs
- At various attractions and museums of the Achensee holiday region
- Museums: We appreciate your understanding that dogs must be kept on a leash at all times in the Achensee Museum World in Maurach, the Notburga museum in Eben am Achensee, and the local history museum Achental – Sixenhof. No dogs are permitted at the Tiroler Steinöl Vitalberg.
The requirement to leash and muzzle dogs on hiking trails, cross-country ski trails, ski slopes and toboggan runs also includes a five-metre zone directly adjacent to these facilities. Exempt are designated and signposted dog-friendly footpaths, beaches, and cross-country ski trails.
Please note that dogs must be kept on a short leash (max. two metres long).