Achensee ski tour camp
Ski touring is becoming increasingly popular. Basically it is “earning your turns” by trekking up slopes on skis with climbing skins. The reward of the exhausting ascent? Skiing down through untracked snow. Lake Achensee is one of the most popular ski touring destinations in the Alps. Skiers who are new to the sport or looking to enhance their skills can register for one of the ski tour camps which will take place in January and February 2019.
On 21st/22nd January, 26th/27th January and 9th/10th February 2019 certified mountain and ski guides will teach the best way to conduct yourself in the mountains – not just in emergency situations. This will of course include instructions how to use an avalanche beacon, probe and shovel. And above all how to adequately assess routes, terrain and in particular your personal fitness level. There is plenty of time for practice after learning the basic theory. On this occasion, famous sports outfitter „Ortovox“ provides his latest equipment, before it is the pros turn to take you out on guided tours to the most scenic spots in the Rofan mountains.
The ski tour camp includes an overnight stay at the Erfurter Huette mountain hut and an evening programme. The “avalanche awareness lecture” with lots of valuable information about avalanche airbags and conduct during emergencies will ensure a convivial and interesting Saturday evening.
IMPORTANT: Please note that all sessions will be held in German (advanced skills required).
For each camp, up to 40 participants can register at the Achensee Tourist Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Advanced alpine skiing ability is required for participation, as every skier MUST be able to ski downhill safely. The division into skill groups beginner, intermediate, etc. is based on the experience level of ski touring and not other sports (e.g. fell running). If you have never done a ski tour, you are a beginner.
The following information is to be provided:
- Contact details
- Telephone number
- Experience (beginner, intermediate, advanced)
- Liability exclusion – every participant agrees to the following conditions – LIABILY EXCLUSION DOWNLOAD.
The ski tour camp costs EUR 159,- per person and weekend. It includes:
- Overnight stay in the dormitory at the Erfurter Huette mountain hut with half board
- Ortovox equipment tests – avalanche beacon, shovel and probe (NO clothing)
- One round-trip with the Rofan cable car
- Avalanche awareness lecture on Saturday evening
- Small gift for the participants
- NOTICE: please bring your own provisions for the tours (beverages, snacks).
The participants are required to bring the following equipment:
- Ski tour equipment (ski, boots, ski poles and appropriate clothing )
- Set of clothes for ski tour and utensils for overnight stay (sleeping bag, slipper-socks, etc.)
- Rucksack for shovel and probe and tour provisions
- Sun protection, ski goggles, sunglasses
Please note that all sessions will be in German (advanced level).
- Start at 8.30 a.m. at the event centre in Maurach (MAP)
- Introduction mountain guides
- Product introduction Ortovox
- Distribution of test equipment (avalanche beacon, shovel, probe)
- Guided ski tour in the terrain (Rofan mountains) according to skill level, with tips from certified mountain & ski guides
- Completion of the new training track in the Rofan mountains incl. emergency training and safety sessions in the terrain
- Group dinner at the Erfurter Hütte mountain hut
- Avalanche awareness lecture in the evening
- From 7.30 a.m. breakfast at the Erfurter Hütte mountain hut
- Tour planning together with certified mountain guides – information, tips, how to read maps
- Additional equipment tests and short practice sessions (Rofan mountains), combined with a guided ski tour and conquering a summit
Meeting points and times will be provided upon confirmation of participation. Rental equipment (touring skis, boots, ski poles) is available at Sport Wörndle in Maurach (to be organized by yourself).
The programme or individual sessions are subject to change based on weather and snow conditions.