Achensee ski tour camp
Ski touring is becoming increasingly popular. Basically it’s “earning your turns” by trekking up slopes on skis with climbing skins. The reward of the exhausting ascent? Skiing down through untracked snow. Lake Achensee is one of the most popular ski touring destinations in the Alps. Skiers who are new to the sport or looking to enhance their skills can register for one of the ski tour camps which will take place in January 2017.
On 21st/22nd and 28th/29th January 2017 safety training experts explain the best way to conduct yourself on the mountain – not just in emergency situations. This will of course include instructions how to use an avalanche transceiver, probe, shovel and avalanche airbag. And above all how to adequately assess routes, terrain and in particular your personal fitness level. There is plenty of time for practice after learning the basic theory. On this occasion, famous sports outfitters „Dynafit“,„Ortovox“,”Scarpa” and “Skitrab” provide their latest equipment, before it is the pros turn to take you out on guided tours to the most scenic spots in the Rofan mountains.
In addition to the two new outfitters there is another programme highlight. For the first time the ski tour camp includes an overnight stay at the Erfurter Huette mountain hut and an evening programme. The “avalanche awareness lecture” by Thomas Nothdurfter (Ortovox employee and state-certified mountain & skiing guide) with lots of valuable information about avalanche airbags and conduct during emergencies will ensure a convivial and interesting Saturday evening.
Up to 40 participants can register for each camp at the Achensee Tourist Office at [email protected]. Advanced alpine skiing ability is a prerequisite for participation. The following information is to be provided:
- Contact details
- Telephone number
- Experience Yes/No (beginner, leisure, professional)
The ski tour camp costs EUR 119,- per person and weekend. It includes:
- Overnight stay in the dormitory at the Erfurter Huette mountain hut with half board
- Equipment tests Dynafit, Ortovox, Scarpa, Skitrab
- Round-trip with the Rofan cable car
- Avalanche awareness lecture on Saturday evening
- Small gift for the participants
- NOTICE: please bring your own provisions for the tours.
The participants are requested to bring the following equipment:
- Appropriate ski tour clothing
- Ski poles
- Set of clothes for ski tour and for overnight stay
- Rucksack for shovel and probe and tour provisions
- Sun protection, ski goggles, sunglasses
Saturday – 21st or 28th January 2017
- Introduction to Dynafit, Ortovox, Scarpa und Skitrab
- Dynafit, Ortovox, Scarpa and Skitrab equipment tests
- Ski tour out into the terrain (Rofan mountains) with tips from the pros
- Short emergency practice session in the terrain (Rofan mountains)
- In the evening avalanche awareness lecture in the Erfurter Huette mountain hut
Sunday – 22nd or 29th January 2017
- Additional equipment tests and short practice sessions (Rofan mountains)
- Guided ski tour and conquering a summit
- Information and tips for planning ski tours at Lake Achensee
Meeting points and times will be provided upon confirmation of participation.
The programme or individual sessions are subject to change based on weather and snow conditions.